Sunday, August 18, 2013

Even Mermaids Have Shopping Problems | Houston, We Have a Problem ...

Okay, it's happening. I'm putting my wallet on lockdown. It's time for this mermaid TO STOP SHOPPING and go on a spending ban. I tried one of these a little over year ago and embarrassingly failed. Lately, my collection has grown to a nauseating amount and I find myself buying things I want but don't even need. I'm happy for about five seconds with a shiny new thing and then I'm on to the next thing I'm lusting. I can't walk into a shopping center without running to the beauty department and looking for something I may have missed the 50 other times I stared at the same aisle. It's a big problem for me that I used to joke about but I'm not sure how funny I find it anymore now that I don't have a job and my bank account always seems to be at 0. Also, when I stop buying makeup, I start treating myself to Starbucks & pounds of Chipotle. The reason I'm going on a formal spending ban and telling you all about it is because 1.) I want to document it for myself and my sanity & 2.) I want you guys to call me out on it if I'm breaking any rules wether it be on twitter, instagram, or even in a blog post. I've laid all my makeup out on my desk and there are so many things I NEEDED that I haven't even touched and now that I have them I'm like 'meh'. I don't need any new makeup. If any new collection comes out it will KILL ME, but I know deep, deep, deeeeeeeeeeeeep down that once the hype dies down I'll be able to live without it. I'm being totally for serious guys - DID YOU NOTICE THE LACK OF HAHAHA's?! 

Now for some rules because I can't NOT buy ANYTHING (was that ... was the even right?) but I'm limiting myself on things, restricting myself from a lot, and putting up small exceptions.
  • Even Mermaids Have Shopping Problems will last for 100 days starting today 08.18.13
  • No spending on any makeup. No exceptions. No if's and or butt's. It's time I start using what I have.
  • No spending on hair care, unless, I run out of shampoo/conditioner completely and/or I need a dry shampoo refill.
  • No spending on skincare, unless, I run out. I don't frequently spend on skincare because I have a set routine so I know I won't stray from what I'm already using should I run out. 
  • I'm allowed to buy TWO Cinamon Sugared Donut candles when they go on offer at Bath & Body Works for 2 for $22, BUT JUST THOSE AND THAT'S IT.
  • No spending on clothes or shoes.
  • No spending on LUSH products. If I run out of bath/body gels, completely, I'm allowed a trip to Bath & Body (so much cheaper and always on sale) to JUST buy bath/body gels.
  • No buying food whilst at school unless it's a Monday or Thursday (those are my only full days of classes) if and only if I forget a Cliff bar.
  • I'm allowed one meal and a coffee or tea when out with the man-friend/friends (this doesn't happen often, haha)
  • I'm going to buy a thermos for coffee/tea so I'm not constantly spending money on Starbucks/David's Tea when at school. Hopefully that'll encourage me to wake up a little early and make some at home.
  • BIGGEST RULE :: No letting my mom treat me to beauty purchases, whatsoever, and no unnecessary clothing purchases.. I think that's where I failed last time. Sure, I wasn't spending, but my mom was and it felt just as bad. Although I will let her buy me a cheeky Starbucks if we're shopping together ;)
That's good, yeah? A nice little sandwich of rules. It might seem like I gave myself a lot of exceptions, but I'm not going to cut myself off of essentials. Essentially (ho, ho, ho) the point of this spending ban is to show myself that NO I do not NEED that lipstick that'll never use but that color is just oh so pretty how can you pass it up?! I won't be updating every week, probably every two weeks with how I'm doing and maybe talk about some things I'm lusting after, if at all.

*breathes in* Okay, that's it. It's official. This mermaid is now officially on track to solve a severe shopping. Wish me luck, guys! I'll keep you updated :) 

36 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope your will power lasts better than mine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, you said it - I'm watching you! Haha good luck, Jess ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, make sure I'm on track! No silly instagrams of a 'cheeky' purchase! Call me out! :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I'm convincing myself to go on a spending ban as well, I started three hours ago, and so far so good! Good luck to the both of us, Jess! xx

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, so far so good for me, too! I haven't left the house yet though, haha!
      Best of luck to you too, Daphne! We're gonna need it ;)

      Delete
  4. Good luck on your ban! It's hard, but really rewarding. My B&BW said that they're not bringing back Cinnamon Sugar Donut this year :'( I bought 5 last year and have half of one left, so I'm heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex!
      & UGH WHAT AWFUL NEWS. I tweeted at B&BW and they said they have a Cider Lane candle, wonder if that's any similar. AH, I'm heartbroken as well ): Guess that's $22 I'm saving up though!

      Delete
  5. Good luck!!! I hope it goes well for you

    -Sophie
    theoutletowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the ban! I'm never successful when it comes to that, but I hope you follow through! I completely agree with you, though - I always spend too much money on cosmetics when I have plenty I need to use up at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on one last year and failed half way through it! It's so strange that we're always excited for the possibilities of a product when convincing ourselves to buy it and then ... never use it, haha! Hopefully I'll rediscover some gems :) Thanks, Cassidy! xx

      Delete
  7. Wishing you the best! I did a Project 10 Pan a few years ago, and it has actually helped my spending habits SO much. Because that project took FOREVER to complete, I got a new mentality of "I don't really need it", and that mentality has stuck with me. Maybe it's because I'm a poor college student who should really be saving up money rather than spending it, but now I don't impulsively buy things anymore. I hope this works out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I remember Project 10 Pan. I JUST hit pan on my very first makeup product and I've been buying makeup for 2 years, haha. I need to get myself that mentality and hopefully I get that with this ban! Totally, college really whips you into shape when it comes to money! That's a big reason as to why I'm starting this. Thank you so much, Brianna :) xx

      Delete
  8. I think I'll be doing this after my birthday. If new collections come out and you still want to try it after the spending ban you'll know it's something you'll probably actually use - it'll be a good way to whittle out what you want and what you don't :)



    Thosestarsthatshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yay! I'll have a spending ban buddy :)
      & exactly. It'll be great to start using up my collection and realize what I do and don't need!

      Delete
  9. Good luck, hope it goes well! Your collection looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! I think I may join you on this! It's 101 days until I go to nyc and I need to save, save, save so bad! It's not possible for me to run out of makeup or clothes until then, apart from my concealer which I have a voucher for so I think it's okay, and there's a slight chance ill have ran out of foundation as it's not one I keep in bulk like lipsticks and eye shadows. It's so sad! I love buying things :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. JOIN ME. We're such shopaholics and that sounds so trendy to be right now but agh I'd rather have money for a trip than a freakin' lipstick): It's stuff like that that put's things into perspective! You don't have to go cold turkey, but just the things you don't really need, don't spend on :)

      Delete
  11. Suggestions from a fellow addict: Unsub from beauty blogs/YT channels, newsletters, FB "likes", etc. I know it sounds harsh but if you are like me the temptation from the constant bombardment of advertizement is just torture. Every day there is another new item, outrageous sale, or the dreaded limited edition. Also you are planning this over the holiday season.. which is even more intense with advertizing. Out of sight is out of mind.. and if you really need information or a tutorial you can search for it specifically... and you can always resub in the future.

    Avoid specialty stores (Sephora, BBW) and even the cosmetic section of department stores like they are a radiation zone and you will die if you get too close (LOL). Again out of sight is out of mind. If you need a replacement for a basic item ask someone else to pick it up for you if possible, if not just get in and out as directly and quickly as you can.. and offer yourself a treat after. It might be easier to order online, depends on your personal "triggers".

    Set up a basket or some other form of organization for your daily use products (I have some lovely acrylic trays I picked up at Target that sit on my counter) and rotate your products weekly from your collection. Even if you just do your color cosmetics (shadows, blushes, etc). Don't put in too many items at once but just enough to have color options. Keeps things fresh and interesting and encourages you to use the items you have. Encourages creative use of your products (discovering a blush that makes a gorgeous eyeshadow or new color combinations you may not have thought of). Also lets you identify items you really won't use/don't like so you can rehome them.

    Organize your collection so you can actually see everything you have, often if you pack it away in a drawer somewhere you forget you have it, and the simple fact that you can see everything reminds you mentally of how much you have.

    Continue to feed your need by doing tutorials, reviews, look of the day, etc with items in your collection. If you have a good friend who is also a beauty addict you can borrow/swap sanitizable items.

    If you are having a really hard time you might consider joining Ipsy or similar. I know it's buying something, but for $10 you get a nice bag full of new products to play with, there is no shopping involved (it just shows up in your mailbox) so no temptation, it gives you something to look forward to and a treat/reward for being good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to keep referring back to this comment when I start feeling like it's getting too hard. Thank you for your tips and motivation. I really appreciate the time you took to write this all out! I think the biggest part of it will have to be cutting down on reviews I read and videos I watch (definitely no more hauls WAH) & thank you for the great idea to create more tutorial! I'm going to start some sort of EOTD/FOTD series so I start getting more inspiration and start using up my products! Thank you so much :) xx

      Delete
  12. Good luck with this! Seriously.
    I'm trying to do something similar, though not a spending BAN, more something to stop me from buying things unnecessarily or on a whim. You can see my post on it http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=1439442539&group=0&frame_type=b&blog=9873371&link=aHR0cDovL3ZpY2tpZWJsb2dzLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbS8yMDEzLzA4L3dpc2hsaXN0aW4uaHRtbA&frame=1&click=0&user=0 here if you like. Basically writing a list of all the things I want/need and not buying anything that is not on that list. I have a habit of buying things that I think look nice. We'll see how that goes!

    Again, best of luck.
    Vickie xo
    vickieblogs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think that's a great idea to keep a list and stick to it. Will have to try that :)

      Delete
  13. "Unknown" has a lot of great advice.

    I would like to add that I got in to the habit of not buying things in store. I would go to the store and look and products, test them out, play whatever and if I LOOOOOOVED the product I would go home and wait for the product to be on sale, look for a coupon and buy through ebates so I could get cash back. If you notice on my channel I don't do a lot of hauls...well because I had to stop buying so many things. I don't use more than half of what is sitting around, so why am I buying it?
    I like to get a deal and I don't like pay full price, so I research the crap out of something and continually look for sales/coupons. The hardest time for me NOT to buy is around Christmas when Sephora has all of those amazing gift sets at a great discount.

    Right now I need to write down my essentials (hair care/skin care etc) and order and I am in need of foundation or tinted moisturizer but besides that I am not shopping. It will be fun to see how this goes and hopefully we can keep each other motivated =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually never shop online and I'm so rubbish at finding coupons, haha! I really honestly don't need anymore products but I think for some skincare stuff I'll be sure to catch them on some sort of offer, or at least use eBates (love that site so much, haha) OH THOSE SEPHORA GIFT SETS. I've been so good and never bought one but OH MY they are tempting! I hope we can keep each other motivated, Jen! & hopefully I can make it through :)

      Delete
  14. Good luck! These seem like very straight forward rules. so they should be easy to follow since they are very specific!
    <3

    Kallie, But First Coffee Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! I might as well join you, because I'm BROKE. I used up pretty much all my savings when I was in the States... -_-

    Sandra - The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! Haha, yeah trips like that will do that to your wallet, unfortunately! Join me :D It'll be fun to do this with others, too!

      Delete
  16. I feel like I really need to do this too! 100 days doesn't sound too bad. My downfall is shopping in cities I don't visit too often. I feel like I have to buy EVERYTHING so I don't regret not buying it at a later date. I definitely need some rules of some kind, but maybe not as harsh aha. Oh money, I love thee.

    Love from Jasmine @ rabbit-wood.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't, and didn't, but somehow I failed the last one, haha! YES, that is a big downfall, especially when I went away to Canada. Def. set yourself some rules to maybe restrain yourself from things you know you don't need, and no they don't have to be as long as mine, haha xx

      Delete
  17. 'If we're shopping together'?! No, Jessica! You're not allowed shop!

    Kate AKA Ruby at rubyduchess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, oh man, poor choice of wording! She likes to take day-trips to a mall in a nearby state so that's what I meant. But good, thank you - keep me on track :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)