Okay, it's happening. I'm putting my wallet on lockdown. It's time for this mermaid TO STOP SHOPPING and go on a spending ban. I tried one of these a little over year ago and embarrassingly failed. Lately, my collection has grown to a nauseating amount and I find myself buying things I want but don't even need. I'm happy for about five seconds with a shiny new thing and then I'm on to the next thing I'm lusting. I can't walk into a shopping center without running to the beauty department and looking for something I may have missed the 50 other times I stared at the same aisle. It's a big problem for me that I used to joke about but I'm not sure how funny I find it anymore now that I don't have a job and my bank account always seems to be at 0. Also, when I stop buying makeup, I start treating myself to Starbucks & pounds of Chipotle. The reason I'm going on a formal spending ban and telling you all about it is because 1.) I want to document it for myself and my sanity & 2.) I want you guys to call me out on it if I'm breaking any rules wether it be on twitter, instagram, or even in a blog post. I've laid all my makeup out on my desk and there are so many things I NEEDED that I haven't even touched and now that I have them I'm like 'meh'. I don't need any new makeup. If any new collection comes out it will KILL ME, but I know deep, deep, deeeeeeeeeeeeep down that once the hype dies down I'll be able to live without it. I'm being totally for serious guys - DID YOU NOTICE THE LACK OF HAHAHA's?!
Now for some rules because I can't NOT buy ANYTHING (was that ... was the even right?) but I'm limiting myself on things, restricting myself from a lot, and putting up small exceptions.
- Even Mermaids Have Shopping Problems will last for 100 days starting today 08.18.13
- No spending on any makeup. No exceptions. No if's and or butt's. It's time I start using what I have.
- No spending on hair care, unless, I run out of shampoo/conditioner completely and/or I need a dry shampoo refill.
- No spending on skincare, unless, I run out. I don't frequently spend on skincare because I have a set routine so I know I won't stray from what I'm already using should I run out.
- I'm allowed to buy TWO Cinamon Sugared Donut candles when they go on offer at Bath & Body Works for 2 for $22, BUT JUST THOSE AND THAT'S IT.
- No spending on clothes or shoes.
- No spending on LUSH products. If I run out of bath/body gels, completely, I'm allowed a trip to Bath & Body (so much cheaper and always on sale) to JUST buy bath/body gels.
- No buying food whilst at school unless it's a Monday or Thursday (those are my only full days of classes) if and only if I forget a Cliff bar.
- I'm allowed one meal and a coffee or tea when out with the man-friend/friends (this doesn't happen often, haha)
- I'm going to buy a thermos for coffee/tea so I'm not constantly spending money on Starbucks/David's Tea when at school. Hopefully that'll encourage me to wake up a little early and make some at home.
- BIGGEST RULE :: No letting my mom treat me to beauty purchases, whatsoever, and no unnecessary clothing purchases.. I think that's where I failed last time. Sure, I wasn't spending, but my mom was and it felt just as bad. Although I will let her buy me a cheeky Starbucks if we're shopping together ;)
That's good, yeah? A nice little sandwich of rules. It might seem like I gave myself a lot of exceptions, but I'm not going to cut myself off of essentials. Essentially (ho, ho, ho) the point of this spending ban is to show myself that NO I do not NEED that lipstick that'll never use but that color is just oh so pretty how can you pass it up?! I won't be updating every week, probably every two weeks with how I'm doing and maybe talk about some things I'm lusting after, if at all.
*breathes in* Okay, that's it. It's official. This mermaid is now officially on track to solve a severe shopping. Wish me luck, guys! I'll keep you updated :)