Sunday, September 8, 2013

Even Mermaids Have Shopping Problems Update 02

But, wait, Jess ... you said you would update us bi-weekly on your spending ban - what gives? AGH, is what gives. It's been 21 days and although I've been as good as I've ever been I've been a bit of a cheeky bee. NOW HOLD ON, DON'T SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENTS TO YELL AT ME JUST YET. I have the floor and I'd like to explain myself, if I may? Yes? Okay. *straightens tie* Bath & Body Works was finally having their 2 for $22 sale and I took this time to take advantage of the rule that allowed me this! I knew I wouldn't be able to resist because I was dying for the Cider Donut candle, which has replaced my beloved Cinnamon Sugared Donut candle. So that rule is now null and void and I can't buy anymore candles. I also had a coupon for a free item under $14 and decided to get another candle in my (now, new) favorite scent, Marshmallow Fireside, in the absolutely amazing mason jars. Right, good, that was me following the rules. Now ... to the oh so cheeky, and totally unjustifiable, yet SORT OF, KIND OF justifiable purchases - not really. I went to Sephora. I am down to the nub of my most used and most loved eyeliner from Make Up For Ever. Of course, as soon as I put myself on a spending ban I run out. I thought I could live without it, but I cannot. Sure I can use brown eyeshadow but it's not the same I tell yah! Then we have the Soap & Glory Sugar Crush shower gel, foamy bath, ridiculousness. I am a lady blogger from the US. In the US we've NEVER had the Sugar Crush scent. Sure we had Soap & Glory products, but NEVER the famed and un-smellable-through-the-computer-screen, Sugar Crush scent. I CAVED DANG IT. IT SMELLS TOO STINKING GOOD. EVEN MY MOM AGREED. WE LOVE IT OKAY. FORGIVE ME. *composes self once again* Now onto the last thing that I got at Saks which I half blame the colder months approaching and also, Coco from The Beauty Milk. Sorry Coco, totally throwing you under the bus here, haha! In the beginning of the year I was on the hunt for a foundation that could make my skin look nice and dewey, cover my red cheeks, and not exaggerate the dry areas of my skin. When I finally found it, the weather started getting warmer and my skin wasn't as dry so I forgot all about it. So whilst I was out with my mom and sister yesterday the lovely Coco put up a RAVE review of the NARS Sheer Glow foundation which made me remember why I wanted it and then reminded me that the colder months are approaching. My skin is getting noticeably drier as the weather starts to cool so I figured it'd be better to be prepared instead of waiting through most of Fall with my parched skin. You call BS, I call smart thinking ... Okay, I call BS, too. I also had to buy the pump for it because, well ... you know I had to!

There you have it. I broke a sacred rule and the whole point of this spending ban. I'm not giving up though. I stand by my purchases - a bit ashamed, yet ready to take on the next 79 days without buying any makeup products. There's honestly nothing that I need now that my favorite eyeliner is restocked and I've got a foundation to keep me through the colder months. *hangs head in shame* I must not let myself slip like this again!

Even Mermaids Have Shopping Problems: Rules Update 01

10 comments:

  1. Well, like you told me a while back, you can't completely cut everything off when going on a ban. Start fresh and heck, everything was completely justified, right? Good luck on the next 79 days! x

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no, you can't, but I have so much that I figured I wouldn't run out! Guess, I wasn't really looking at what I had! Thank you, Daphne! Hopefully I have everything that is a necessity now!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I tried to go on a ban for some time... The same things happen : My favorite "thing" is running out (Bioderma Micellaire Water, my bioderma face exfoliant, moistyrizer, I hit pan on a blush... you know the drill). So I spend.

    The only thing I found out to work is to set a list of things to buy only if you run out :
    - Mascara
    - Liquid Liner
    - Fondation
    - Setting powder

    and so on.
    It helped me a lot to "allow" myself to be able to buy because I was so afraid of running out.
    Because I don't know about you, but I tend to buy as much "non-essential" things (blush, bronzer, eyeshadows : Things that take ages to finish!) ans "essential" things : fondations, mascaras: things that can be emptied in a couple of months.

    Anyway, GOOD LUCK ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you'll laugh, but my Bioderma is also depleting. I can't buy it where I'm from so that's maybe a good thing! I think if I narrow it down to only buying "essentials" I'll be fine, but how many foundations/setting powders/liners become essential? Haha! What if you need them all?! I'm gonna try my best to be good now and then explode at Sephora the day after! Thank you :D

      Delete
  3. It's OK, I forgive you ;) Your purchases are totally justifiable, plus NARS SheerGlow is basically liquid gold so I mean of course you had to buy it. I don't know if I could do this whole spending ban business, so more power to you, Jess. Best of luck with the next 79! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amelia! & OMG, it totally is! I've been wanting for this long for a reason and it was totally justifiable! You can't go on a spending ban because you're moving to London! How the heck would you not run into a Boots, Primark, Selfridges and all those British places?! Haha, thank you!!

      Delete
  4. I don't blame you! I love that Cider Donut candle and want to buy it next time it goes on 2 for $22. When I did a spending ban, I only allowed myself to buy something if I completely ran out. I should do another spending ban again soon as I have gone a bit overboard these last few months 0.0

    Des | Simple Charm Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving it a proper smell now and I really, really like it! Glad I let myself have it in my rules. The 2 for $22 deal is just way to hard to pass up!

      Delete
  5. I'm not gonna scold you for buying those items, but I'm gonna scold you for mentioning them on your blog! Girl, I'm trying to save up some money too and you're such an enabler! XD

    Sandra - The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the comment made me laugh out loud for real. Is it weird that I enjoy being an enabler? If I can't shop, I want you to do it for me so I can live vicariously through your purchases, hehe!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)