Monday, July 8, 2013

An Apocalyptic Miss | Rimmel Apocalips in Big Bang

Hello wonderful mermaids! Before I start this post I'd just like to say huuuuuuge thank you to you lovely lot of readers and watchers! I have reached over 500 followers on this blog, as well as over 500 YouTube subscribers. I really appreciate all the comments you leave on my posts and videos - they honestly make my day. So I just wanted to say a big, big thanks and hope you all continue to enjoy my blog/video!

Right, now onto the review. You know, there's something so fascinating about reading a review of product that sounds fabulous and has the added bonus of being a product that you just can't get where you live! Sure you've lusted after other products, but not like you lust over this one. You absolutely can't get it, so it automatically becomes 10x more lusted after. That product to me was Rimmel's Apocalips, which was so kindly sent to me by Melissa from Melissa Knows Best. She sneakily snuck this at the bottom of the box she sent me a month ago. It seemed that every UK blogger was on a mission to collect them all, they were that fantastic! I think you can now get them in the US at certain drusgtores but the name is different. The packaging is stunning and sleek. I love the way the cap looks as thought it was a carved space age rock. You can see the color of the particular lip lacquer at the bottom of the tube which is ever so convenient. Us beauty bloggers have tubs upon tubs of lippies so anything that helps us differentiate the color is a great big plus! The color Melissa sent me was Big Bang which is the epitome of classic blue-based reds. I was absolutely thrilled because I can never have enough red lips! I can't wait until the Fall/Winter so I can start wearing them again more often. I felt like a 50s glamour doll when I put this one on. The applicator is your typical doe-foot applicator and it's got a little well inside that collects some of the product so you're not constantly dipping back into the tube, I suppose. The pigmentation is insanely opaque and the finish is a lovely-gloss finish that is equally gorgeous and moisturizing. I loved it all until I discovered that it never. stops. being glossy.

It's such a shame that there are so many things to love about this product and just one aspect kills it all for me. The lip lacquer slips and slides even hours after I've applied it. I can't touch, tap, or even think about my lips because if I do it just smudges onto my hand, fingers, or even moves off my lips and onto the sides of my face. It's such a gorgeous colors and it pains me that it never 'sets'. There's no way I can comfortably wear this out without being super conscious of wether or not it's migrated or if I've accidentally smeared it. I keep scrolling to the swatch on my lips and then just glaring at the tube. It was SO perfect, SO PERFECT, until I realized there's no way I could wear it without also wearing it as blush, bronzer and eyeshadow (hope you got what I meant). It's such a shame as there was so much going for the product but the fact that it never stays put makes it an apocalyptic miss for me.
What are your thoughts on this Apoliptic sensation?

32 comments:

  1. Aw that just plain sucks :( The color looks absolutely gorgeous on your lips, but the fact that it smears would bother me, too. Maybe a lighter color would work better, since it wouldn't show up as much if it did smear?

    xoxo aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly! Yeah it really does suck. Sometimes I look at it and forget why I hated it, put it on so happily, look at the red on my hand and go 'dang'. I might just try a lighter shade and see how that works with me, but I love my brights, so settling for a nude makes me sad):

      Delete
  2. Noooo so the rumors are true!! After all of the hubbub about this product (I was one of the devoted lusters) I feel like the minute it started to die down people were starting to leak information of these not being as great as they were originally saying... lust can be blinding sometimes. But the blinders would be terribly difficult to keep on the minute this turned into eyeshadow haha!! Such an absolute shame; I was planning on popping into Walgreens (which is where I think they're selling them now in the US?) to nab a couple but it sounds like I'll be passing :(

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People were actually saying negative things? I kept hearing how fabulous they were (and they are) but I just can't handle the lipstick-eyeshadow duo that'll start going on in about an hour or two. Aly suggested to try a lighter color and maybe that wouldn't be as noticeable or much of a hassle if it smudges. I'd try one out if you could find it cheap, but def. not one of the brighter colors! :/ I'm even looking at it right now and forcing myself to love it!

      Delete
  3. No way! I love these (guilty as one of these UK raving review bloggers)
    I have some of the lighter shades & use them for work but they're my go-to lippy :)

    If its any consolation, you're lips look bangin' in red dear :)

    Kerys | Little Bo Blab
    -xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're brilliant, and maybe a lighter color would be better, but the bright one makes me so self concious because I keep thinking that any moment I may have smeared it :/ Thank you though! :)

      Delete
  4. I painfully fell into the UK blogger hype with this product! I got Stellar and it's an absolute pain to apply. One little shake and it looks so messy! I find applying it with a lip brush or your fingers gives a better application as it isn't so concentrated.

    The shade looks lovely on you btw :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stellar was the one I was looking to get as well till I tried this one! Yeah, I have to be so precise when applying it cause it can stain! Ahhh, I shall absolutely try applying it with a lip brush! That's a great idea, thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. I find that my hair ends up dragging the colour all over my face, not ideal. The colours are absolutely amazing though. xx

    www.simplybeauty123.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I can just imagine the thin streaks of red whiskers you'd get! The colors are so beautiful! I may try the lighter ones and see how I do :)

      Delete
  6. I dislike this for exactly the same reason. I wore it to school one day it was so embarrassing because it bled like a bitch!

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awful?! It has everything else going for it! :(

      Delete
  7. Aww that really sucks! I never heard a bad thing about it until now - and I'm so sad. It looks absolutely amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ash! I love the way it looks but that was wearing it for about a minute to take the picture :/ It's ridiculously easy to overlook this one thing because everything else about it is amazing!

      Delete
  8. Nooooo...This has definately stopped me purchasing! I had products that smear such as this. I like everything waterproof, long lasting, smear proof...You name it!

    Thanks for your review...May hunt for something different now

    oOo BecKY oOo

    http://bkybubble.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan either. If I wear a lip product I want it to stay and I don't want to have to worry about it, save for maybe a touch up.

      Delete
  9. So many people have this issue with this! :(
    It's so beautiful though!
    hareem xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard a few people have this problem but it's so gorgeous and hard to resist ):

      Delete
  10. Mine did that too but it wasn't too bad so I still dealt with it bc it just looked so good! Great Review
    xx Rena

    Kiss and Make Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena! & ah, I wish I could do that! I may try the lighter/less abrasive shades and see if those bother me less!

      Delete
  11. What an incredible red! Love the name but I'm sure that you can get a lot of very similar products. This would have been amazing in a really dark purple. =)

    http://love-your-ego.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, just?! Yeah, I can def. get some other similar red shade products but it was the awesome-ness of having an apocalips! Wish I could love it! & that color would be something! xo

      Delete
  12. I absolutely LOVE Big Bang, it's such a gorgeous true red shade.
    It's a shame the wet formula puts you off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I constantly look at the shade and how gorgeous it is, but I just can't get over how smeary it can get :/

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful shade of red, looks lovely on you ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought 5 of them a few weeks ago when I first saw them in Walgreens - so disappointed! :(

    Congrats on how well your blog and YouTube are doing, girl! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What colors did you get? I wanted to get a lighter one and see if that was better. Agh, they're so awesome otherwise but the smearing and smudging is too big of a problem for me to love them ):

      & thanks Julia! :) xo

      Delete
  15. Oh nooo! Bold, bright lip products that smudge/move are my worst nightmare! I'm really glad now that I resisted the hype. The colour is so pretty, though!

    Sandra - The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They honestly are! I mean it takes a lot of courage to wear bright and bold colors but then having to worry about smudging on top of that is scary! Good for you girl! Keep on resisting because I wrote this review and I still want to reach for it, LOL :)

      Delete
  16. Oh no I'm gutted for you! I have this very same shade, and I find this particular colour is the worst at slipping and sliding about. You have to apply the teeeeeeeeeeniest amount, or it ends up all over my face! Lol xxx

    Gemma | ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it just this one? & haha, yeah I suppose they're like OCC Lip Tars, ONLY THE TINIEST of dabs to cover the entirety of your lips! So annoying though as it comes with a wand that also has a well meaning their intention was that a decent amount of product is needed ):

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)