Monday, July 1, 2013

NYX | Jumbo Eye Pencils

It's Mooooooonday, which for a girl who's on summer vacation and without a job means absolutely nothing. Actually, I think it means I'm deserving of a high five for even remembering what day of the week it is! If you're not a lazy lady like me and actually working or going to summer classes then I hope your day doesn't end with you composing a tweet saying "bad case of the Mondays". Hey! Maybe today's post might even cheer you up? Maybe not, but hopefully you enjoy it. Today I'm reviewing one of the very first make up products I purchased whilst getting into beauty - NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils. These used to be talked about everywhere and on every beauty video. You couldn't watch a tutorial without seeing one of these guys pop up, which would explain why I bought this entire lot of 13 pencils in one go. They were having a sale though, so can you really blame me?

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils are essentially just giant crayons of cream eyeshadows. You can use these on their own as an eyeshadow or underneath powder eye shadows as a base to extend the wear. I'm not a huge fan of wearing them on their own as I find they tend to crease in a matter of an hour or two, which is a shame because some of the colors are gorgeous. They're really great as bases though. They grip powdered eyeshadows and loose pigments like no other (that I've tried, haha). Cottage Cheese which is a white with a metallic sheen to it is perfect for making any shadows more vibrant and opaque, especially the more sheer pigmentations. If you can match the tones of a powdered eyeshadow with a Jumbo Pencil color, look out, because the color just intensifies! You can also use these as an eyeliner but I find they're a bit too big for my eyeballs. I do find that sometimes these babies will tug a bit when I apply pencil straight to eyelid. If you pull a little at the corner of your eye it won't tug but every time I do that all I hear is my inner voice screaming "YOU'RE GONNA GET WRINKLES!" I recently discovered that you can apply the pencil to your index finger and then pat it on. It works well, blends easily and doesn't tug but it lessens the convenience of the pencil! 

NYX makes their Jumbo Eye Pencils in every color of the rainbow and then some. They have such a huge array of colors that you're bound to find a color you'll want to try! Out of the 13 I have swatched down below my top 4 recommendations would have to be Cottage Cheese, Iced Mocha, Yogurt, and Strawberry Milk. These are the colors I find myself reaching for the most. They're such an affordable product (on sale or not) at $4.49 a pop at ULTA ($3.50 on cherryculture.com right now!) and make such a great base for you eyeshadows that you can't afford not to try out just one. This may be the shortest review I've written in a while, but they're pretty straight forward little guys and aside from the occasional tug here and there, pretty darn shwanky for the quality and the price!
What do you think of NYX Jumbo Pencils? Which is your favorite? 

26 comments:

  1. Wowowowowow baby blue is amazing, i love blue this season. I have never tried anything from NYX...I am bad. I might just have to now though!

    Kassie xo

    www.styledevoured.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYX is a really great and affordable brand! If you can only get two things I'd recommend one of these and def. a blush of theirs! Amazing quality!

      Delete
  2. I own one of these and I love it. I really want to get the rest of them :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I don't know what I'd did with the lot of them but they sure do lovely all bunched together :) Which shade you own?

      Delete
  3. I want all of these! Great post. It's great to see close up swatches.
    Stop by sometime...
    http://heartoceansecrets.blogspot.co.uk/

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have 22 of these :/ Haha, but seriously I love these to much! Iced Mocha and Cottage Cheese are muh faves, but I really want to get Sparkle Nude, it looks really pretty from the website!

    xoxo aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Aly, go! Haha, I think it'd be cool to own all of them just for the bragging rights. I still need to get myself a Milk. & Sparkle Nude?! WHAT? That sounds gorgeous *goes to look up swatches*

      Delete
  5. Yogurt really is SO pretty... which reminds me: I need to use it more often!! These things really are so stinking convenient if you know how to work with their quirks (creasing and whatnot)! :)

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing while I was typing the post up, haha! Nearly not enough love for it! Yeah, at first I was like AGH rubbish! Then I realized how to work them and thought alright, alright you're AWESOMESAUCE!

      Delete
  6. I love a lot of the colors but Strawberry Milk is my favorite. I used it almost daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some sheer pinks so using Strawberry Milk with those shadows makes them look astounding! Love it :)

      Delete
  7. These are awesome swatches! I wish I could get mine to come out that nice! I've been wanting to pick these up for a while, now I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! You should def. pick up a few! (they're way to addicting and gorgeous to just get one ;) )

      Delete
  8. i WISH that they were more readily available in the UK so much, the yoghurt shade is incredible! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they were, too! I feel awful when there's a clash of US/UK products and we all lust after products we can't have, haha. Yogurt is gorgeous!

      Delete
  9. I love the blues and the bronzes. Why do you do this to me?!?!? haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are welcome ;) Oh my, now I want to use the blues and bronzes together :OOO

      Delete
  10. These colours are incredible!! I love the metallic shimmer of them!

    http://love-your-ego.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Usually when I think 'metallic' finish I think ... ehhh, but it works surprisingly well for these pencils!

      Delete
  11. Can we bask in the perfection of this quote: "It's Mooooooonday, which for a girl who's on summer vacation and without a job means absolutely nothing. Actually, I think it means I'm deserving of a high five for even remembering what day of the week it is!"

    It should be my summer motto. Not a great motto, more of a description.

    Anyways, I agree, I don't love them on their own because they're quite crease-y but they're awesome bases. I looove Baby Blue looks so pretty (don't own it sadly) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, I'm glad you liked that little bit! It's a (sadly) accurate description. Every day is Wednesday until it actually IS Wednesday and then I think it's Thursday, haha! It's such a shame that they crease on their own as they are really lovely colors, but hey, they make fab bases so I'm okay :D

      Delete
  12. When I started getting more into beauty these were one of the first things I bought as well ^^ They make great bases for eyeshadow, especially Milk and Black Bean. I have a couple more colours and depoted them but then in came the Maybelline Color Tattoos and now they don't get as much love as they used to. I had no idea Rocky Mountain Green and Electric Blue were so gorgeous, I would have bought them! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? These were like a right of passage! I still need to get Milk :D I'd only depot them because it looks like so much fun to, I know I'd regret it, though, haha. Oh my, yes! I only have one Maybelline Color Tattoo but I can imagine if I had some of the neutral colors they'd be all I used. So tacky and probably a bit better than the Jumbo pencil eyes!

      Delete
  13. I have the white one, but I always forget to use it! I'll make sure I use it tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me! :D

    Sandra - The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you got good use out of it! I'm starting to use them more and more as bases! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)