Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Disney Collection by Sephora | Ariel Storylook Palette (Review, Swatches + Pictures!)

WARNING: This will be a long post containing an excessive amount of exclamation points and pictures.
This has been a long anticipated review if not for you all but for me! I've been excited about this product, heck collection, ever since I heard the rumors that Ariel may be the next princess in the crazy coveted Disney Collection by Sephora. My excitement grew even more when I saw the promo that Sephora released for it. In all honesty I just lost it. I was excited, and completely jealous that I wasn't asked to be the mermaid. This is an entire collection dedicated to probably the world's favorite and most famous mermaid, Ariel from The Little Mermaid. I, being a mermaid ;), couldn't wait to see the blues and greens used in the packaging and in the shadow colors! The last two collections (Cinderella and Jasmine) have been absolute hits (the Storylook palette's and compact mirrors, especially!) I was lucky enough to snag this palette when it was "accidentally" released back in the begining of June. The whole collection is now up on the website but I'm afraid the Storylook Palette, along with the compact mirror are now sold out ): But keep your eyes peeled in stores!!

This palette is the third volume of the Storylook Palette's in the Disney Collection by Sephora. In this big palette you get 20 wonderful shades of shadows (for $55) in various finishes that reflect the colors, things, and places of the movies. It's been a super big deal that there wasn't any inclusion of a red eyeshadow to represent Ariel's fiery locks and Sebastian's shell. I'm not to floored by it as I understand it's not the most practical of colors. It would have been cool to see but I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it. It would, however, have been awesome for them to include a bright yellow shade for Flounder. Marvelle, from Blog of Shadows, mentioned it in her review and I thought that that would have made a great addition! To make sure I properly review this for you all I've separated the review into sections. Nothing too crazy, just packaging and each row of colors! Not all the colors are spectacular, I will admit (even though it PAINS me to) and some are really fantastic so I'll go row by row and you can jump to the row that maybe has a color you're interested in! I won't be describing the color, as I'm rubbish at it, and I'll have swatches below of every color! I kept them very true to swatch :)

Packaging The packaging of this palette is bar-none (is that how you say it?) It's the most detail orientated package I've ever come across from the palette to the actual box it comes in! The outer packaging is so ornately decorated with the massive shell at the top, the seahorses to the sides and even the border around it all is decorated with seashells. The blue gradient in the background is just absolutely breathtaking, YES, breathtaking. Just look at the (massive amounts of) pictures below of the packaging. The back packaging has little Ariel's that depict the 20 shadows inside. Even the bar code is designed with a seashell and flanked by two mermaids! It's amazing! My favorite part is at the top flap that says 'dare to dream'. It resonates with me in so many ways!

The palette itself is crazy amazing to look at. It's got the tiniest of holo shifts when tilted up and down in some sunlight. It's completely flat but it does give off the impression of a glimmering ocean or the rippling water. That could just be down to the fantastic artwork! The front of the palette depicts the scene in The Little Mermaid when Ariel is wanting to be "part of their world" Girl, I want to be a part of your world. Anyways, haha, the surrounding detail is done in a silver-ish paint that depicts all her "gadgets and gizmos a'plenty" including her dinglehopper! It's so stunning and you can see the time and effort that went into creating it.

On the side there's a small, silvery tab that you can pull to reveal the palette's wonderful eyeshadows. You can remove the palette from the velvety box and use it as a keepsake if you'd like. I'll probably end up doing that when I've finished a good portion of the shadows! I like having the option of removing the shadows because it makes it much easier to hold!

Row 1 Shadows (Blue Lagoon, Scuttle, Flounder, Sebastian, Flotsam) I had no trouble with Blue Lagoon, Scuttle, and Flotsam. These three colors were very buttery to the touch and super pigmented. They lost some of their pigmentation while transferring to eye, but still looked nice. I wanted to really love Flounder and Sebastian. Both are matte colors and I find they're best at diffusing the brightness or darkness of some of the other colors. They're very light and definitely need to be built up. These two are also a bit more powdery which makes them hard to use besides as a blending color. 

Row 2 Shadows (Seashells, Les Poissons, Caspian Sea, Your Voice, Unfortunate Souls) Seashells is a lovely shadow that's not too buttery and not too powdery. It makes for a gorgeous inner highlight. Les Poissons is so buttery my brush sometimes creates a bit of a dip if I dab to hard, but other than that it's nicely pigmented. Caspian Sea and Your Voice have somehow secured themselves as my favorites of the bunch. Caspian Sea is smooth and pigmented and so beautifully shimmery. Your Voice is pigmented but contains large sized glitters that would look beautiful if they bothered to transfer to the eye!! This one shadow is absolute fall out city so make sure to give this a good tapping before applying to your eyelid. Unfortunate Souls seems to be getting a lot of flack for being a "blah" color, but I love it! It's matte, albeit a bit powdery, but it's such a nice shade to use in the crease and decently pigmented!

Row 3 Shadows (Atlantica, Fins, Sick of Swimmin', Ursula, Shalala) I have no complaints for this row of shadows. Some do lean towards the powdery side but nothing a good primer can't fix. Sick of Swimmin' is my favorite of this bunch for the simple fact that it's got a gorgeous blue/green shimmer shift in it. Makes for such a unique and "mermaid-y" highlight. I've yet to use this all over the lid but I just might real soon! I also wanted to give an honorable mention to Shalala because that was a brilliant name for a shadow!

Row 4 Shadows (Triton, Wanderin' Free, Jetsam, Sea Witch, Treasures Untold) Okay, last row! I've got a bone to pick with Triton and Wanderin' Free. They are such wonderful shades that are pigmented and smooth but oh my lanta, why so much fall out? The colors are so lovely that I'm willing to work that extra minute with them but ugh, so much excess with just one tap of the brush! Jetsam, along with Flotsam are so cool because at first glance they look like similar shades but when swatched there are different colors pulled from each. One of them has a midnight blue and the other a teal and they're so fun to use with a smokier look! Sea Witch is a glorious purple that is pigmented and smooth, an overall great shadow. Treasures Untold is also a nice shade but I felt it was waaaaay too similar to Seashells :/

Is it worth it if you're a fan of The Little Mermaids/Ariel/Mermaids? Absolutely, without a doubt 100%, yes. There are so many fun colors to play with and the packaging alone will be worth it. It's a great collectible for anyone who is a makeup junkie and a fan of the films or mermaids. It does state 'Ariel' on the box, as it is her collection, but any mermaid fanatic will enjoy the silhouettes and all the oceanic detail. 

Is it worth it if you're not a crazed fanatic? If you're not a crazed fanatic, but just a fan or someone looking to get a new palette I would say it was worth it if you're look to try some fun colors as well as neutrals. It's an overall nice palette, you can't knock the packaging! Some of the shadows are not up to par but some are above and beyond, so it's a real toss up. If the shades tickle your fancy then by all means, yet it's worth it! The shadows can get a bit powdery but nothing you can't work through. Just do you eyes first and then apply your foundation! Problem solved :) Now if you can't nab it, do I think it's worth buying off of eBay for crazy prices? Definitely not, unless, like I said above, you're collecting it, but even still - it's gorgeous, but let's not go into bankruptcy!

 PHEW! That was a lot to take in, wasn't it? So ... what do you all think? :)

35 comments:

  1. I think it's absolutely beautiful. They couldn't do a red lipstick or something? I'm not too sure about the collections-didn't even know they existed honestly, until you started raving about this one, lol. Do they include lipsticks? They should. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, they come out with loads of different pieces for each collection and lip glosses were included-a red among them! Not a fan of lip glosses so I didn't get them but had they been lipsticks I would have been all over it!

      Delete
  2. This looks so so gorgeous i love the names of the shadows too! xx

    An Uninventive Name

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful palette! Wish I could get my hands on this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they sold this collection everywhere because I think every one would be able to appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  4. Ahh Jess, I love the way you write your reviews. You crack me up and I really get a sense of you are talking to me! I think we had pretty similar thoughts on the palette, it grows on me more and more everyday to be honest! And your photos are just stunning, I love how you used sand and shells and ahhhh! So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you so much! I loved it from the get go, but yeah, the more I use it, the more I fall in love with the colors. & awh, yeah I thought it would add to the mer-tastic of the palette :)

      Delete
  5. Oh God I want this so bad.
    I wonder if it will be available in the UK...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it'll be available in the UK unfortunately ):

      Delete
  6. So gorgeous! I'm obsessed with all of the photos you took of the palette, they're all stunning! The palette does look amazing, but I do agree with you and think a brighter yellow for Flounder would have been nice! I can see why a red wouldn't have been included, though, as it would have just disrupted the palette as a whole. I can't wait to see what you grabbed from online when it went live! Still thinking about getting the mini palette if it's in my stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassidy! A brighter yellow would have been AMAZEBALLS. I'm picturing it now and it would have just been so pretty! I just got all my goodies so I'll slowly be showing them on the blog! I got the quad and all I can say is, get it! So gorgeous and the colors are so pretty, especially the purple!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful !!! I really need this in my life now :):):)

    http://christinapirate.blogspot.ca/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! There's something about these colors that seems so wearable so I feel like people would get use out of it. Plus, it's a nifty colllectible!

      Delete
  8. The shades are very versatile! I love this whole concept but I don't think I'd buy it for myself though.

    http://love-your-ego.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understand - it's not for everyone! :)

      Delete
  9. I love the photos you took! very cute :) I managed to buy it yesterday but it was pretty crazy! It kept going in and out of stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jennifer! Yeah, it was insanity before and during it going live. I'm so happy you managed to snag it! Seriously, you could've blinked and missed it! :D

      Delete
  10. It's soooooooo beautifulllll! :O I's buy it just to stare at it haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's why I bought it at first *runs away in shame* They've outdone themselves with these packagings! I wish they would bring out more ):

      Delete
  11. I'm new to "blogging"! So tell me what you think of my blog. Thanks so much!
    Urbanfittings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful palette! most of the colors are out of my comfort zone but it is stunning to look at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not for everyone, but you can't say they didn't just knock out of the ball park with packaging! :)

      Delete
  13. Can I just make a blog post with a link to this? haha this looks like so much effort, but so perfect! I finally started using it and it's a dreaaaaaaaam! Also, I got your tweet too late and the compacts were sold out :( but I got the nail polish!! Sigh from my mermaid heart to yours xx

    haley-wood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're more than welcome to! I know, it's a bit much, but I felt like it needed all the touches! I'm so sorry Haley! I think I tweeted you again when it went back in stock but I don't know if you saw in time. Stay strong mermaid bud <3 :)

      Delete
  14. This is such a gorgeous palette! And what a fantastic review Jess, you must have spent FOREVER on it! Your pictures (as always) are spot-on! :)

    xoxo aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Aly! Haha, SO MANY ANGLES, let's just say :)

      Delete
  15. Wow. Very detailed review. Can't wait to see the other Disney character versions, some of the colours in this are probably a bit too bright for me!
    x
    http://www.daniellesdiscerningeye.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They had a Cinderella and Jasmine collection which came out before this one and I think they're done with them. I wish they'd do more!! ):

      Delete
  16. Now this is a gorgeous mix of colors! I usually don't go for bright ones, but I could actually see myself picking up this palette (if there was a Sephora in my country). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I love bright colors but never know how to wear them. Somehow these colors I can wear!! Sephora needs to expand a bit more! They would be making so much business!

      Delete
  17. I had no idea Disney makeup palettes existed about ten minutes ago so this post has made me extremely happy! I loved the detail in this review, I like to know the ins and outs of a product before trying it for myself ($55 is a bit of a commitment for me) I just wish sephora would make an appearance in the UK a bit more!

    www.alices-palace.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, awh, I'm so very glad :) Thank you! It's a gorgeous and super intricate palette so there was a lot to take in! I think it's about time the UK got at least ONE Sephora! Don't know what's taking them so long to get over there!

      Delete
  18. Oh man, I love this palette! I'd die to get my hands on this palette (okay, maybe not die...since then I wouldn't be able to use it, but you get the gist :P) It's so lovely and I love how they had Ariel's silhouette on the back of the packaging! GAH, why doesn't Sephora ship worldwide? (oh, and you got a new follower right here!) xx

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving this palette. I want one so much. Everything about it is beautiful, the shades, the packaging and I just want one.

    Paige x

    http://www.curlygurlymoments.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)